[tor-talk] "zeus" virus

borderguard at riseup.net borderguard at riseup.net
Fri Aug 24 16:03:14 UTC 2012

CenturyLink's ToS prohibits the use of services such as TOR exit nodes on
residential connections. You may want to focus of running a relay instead
of a exit node. They can (and will) disconnect you permanently for repeat
violations. It's because the ISP can detect the signature of the traffic
the virus Zeus leaves and shut down the connection. Since it's a FBI
flagged virus that was mutated starting around may 2011 and because
CenturyLink has had issues where about 300 emails were suspended for SPAM
violations in the past month, they will not allow infected machines on
their network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus_%28Trojan_horse%29

Additionally, it might not be you, but someone who's machine is infected,
or using your node as a exit point for the Command and control server
hiding behind it.