[tor-talk] Reliable server hosting company for Tor exits?

Rejo Zenger rejo at zenger.nl
Wed Aug 22 18:37:16 UTC 2012

On 22 aug. 2012, at 16:07, Robin Kipp wrote:

> root server hosted by Hetzner Online in Germany. I've already been running a Tor relay on that for quite a while, but sadly had to find out that the server's IP subsequently got added to several EMail blacklists - despite the server only being a relay and not an actual exit node! Since I rely on that server for my day-to-day EMail communications, I thus had to shutdown the relay and kindly ask the DNSBl providers to remove me from their blacklists, which luckily they did.

This is interesting. Did they provide any explanation for this?

Your root server, did they have access to the server as well? How did they know you were running a relay, other than looking on your server for a Tor process, or looking into your traffic? What problem did they try to solve by adding your server on a blacklist?

--
Rejo Zenger . <rejo at zenger.nl> . 0x21DBEFD4 . <https://rejo.zenger.nl>
GPG encrypted e-mail preferred . +31.6.39642738 . @rejozenger