[tor-talk] End-to-end correlation for fun and profit

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Wed Aug 22 05:51:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 04:42:35 +0000, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> technologies (like Tor). So maybe you need them to be ?sophisticated?,
> after all, but my point was that you don't need something exceptional
> like involving state security agencies ? i.e., FBI + UK Police + DE
> Police + a couple of other countries, coordinating via Interpol does
> not sound impossible to me.

Not impossible; but even if they start intercepting the relay
communication that data (and no small amount of it) is still sitting in
disparate systems and needs a) the software to actually do the correlation
and b) the means of all data being moved to one place.

Buying software for a) will probably show up in public records, and b)
may be hindered by the paranoia of the participating LEAs. Even the software
needed to get all the intercepted data in one place could be nightmarish.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>