[tor-talk] Tor + windows 7 firewall

Daniel Dennis sdjfjsdfiuhszduh at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 17 01:34:36 UTC 2012

I found this and decided to try it in my VM

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/17059/how-do-you-properly-setup-tor-on-windows-7
What the incorrect (yet marked accepted) answer doesn't say is how to
block all outgoing ports. When you open "windows firewall with advance
security" there is a "Windows firewall properties" right there on the
first page. Its in the middle column at the bottom of the overflow box.
The 2nd tab (Private Profile) is where you may block outgoing ports even
tho the first 3 tabs look the same.

Then you can add the tor program to the allow list. I tried firefox
(plain) to confirm no connections (also tried ping) then i added firefox
to allow outgoing and it worked. I added tor to the list then started it
up using the TBB. Tor couldn't connect and i couldnt figure out why. I
also allowed vidalia and the portable firefox but still no go.

My question is has anyone gotten this to work? Allowing only tor in
windows? The next question is how do you know if its working correctly
and no leaks happen? This idea was just for fun. I personally never
downloaded documents except one on the project tor site and i believe it
was using https so i doubt any exists modified the contents. I could
block my pdf reader (i dont use adobe lol. Its too bulky) and maybe i
will but this was just an idea that i wondered if anyone got working