[tor-talk] http://torbrowser.sourceforge.net/

dumbnewbie dumbnewbie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 02:26:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Randolph D. <rdohm321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you already can see on the website, it is added (maybe done later than
> you looked first):
>
> "TorBrowser Source code is open source and not affiliated with Tor, but
> simply use Tor. "Tor" and the "Onion Logo" are registered trademarks of the
> Tor Project, Inc. Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 License, unless otherwise noted."
>
> this should remove any confusion.
>
> do we agree to this? not affiliated means independently. As tor is used,
> tor should be working as needed.
> "Guarantee from the Tor Project" should then be the same, you might mean
> "Guarantee from the TBB",  but see above: it is clear that it is not an
> offical bundle, but might become one, as you write: empirical existence and
> development will show later.
> In case you cannot live with "not affiliated, just simply uses Tor" and it
> is still creating confusion, we can adjust that even more.
>
> Thanks. Regards

It really doesn't remove confusion. How often does a user scroll to
the very bottom of a webpage? The text will rarely be seen by those
who should be reading it.

I think your links to the Tor Project website at the bottom of the
TorBrowser home page ("What Tor does", "Users of Tor", "Installation
Guides", ...) are probably there with best intentions, but I can see
this facilitating the confusion because users don't see a distinction
between the legitimate Tor Project website and the TorBrowser website.
It would incorrectly legitimise the TorBrowser website.

I'm curious - for what reason(s) was the TorBrowser started? If the
leaks mentioned earlier were known with Dooble, why was it chosen for
the project? People use Tor to protect themselves; it would seem that
the choice to use Dooble didn't have users best interests in mind.

I did a brief check but didn't determine the answer - is perrymikey
(http://sourceforge.net/users/perrymikey) the same as mikeperry
(https://blog.torproject.org/blogs/mikeperry)?