[tor-talk] http://torbrowser.sourceforge.net/

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 23:50:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Randolph D. <rdohm321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you already can see on the website, it is added (maybe done later than
> you looked first):
>
> "TorBrowser Source code is open source and not affiliated with Tor, but
> simply use Tor. "Tor" and the "Onion Logo" are registered trademarks of the
> Tor Project, Inc. Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 License, unless otherwise noted."
>
> this should remove any confusion.
>
> do we agree to this? not affiliated means independently. As tor is used,
> tor should be working as needed.
> "Guarantee from the Tor Project" should then be the same, you might mean
> "Guarantee from the TBB",  but see above: it is clear that it is not an
> offical bundle, but might become one, as you write: empirical existence and
> development will show later.
> In case you cannot live with "not affiliated, just simply uses Tor" and it
> is still creating confusion, we can adjust that even more.
>
> Thanks. Regards
>
> 2012/8/15 Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.is>
>
>>  Adding the disclaimer, seen below,
>> somewhere obvious on your pages would go along way to removing the
>> confusion.
>>
>> “This product is produced independently from the Tor® anonymity
>> software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality,
>> suitability or anything else.”
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew
>> http://tpo.is/contact
>> pgp 0x6B4D6475

I mostly ignored this thread because I didn't think it was a big deal.
I figured the name of your new web browser would most likely confuse
people, but that could easily be changed once enough people convinced
you of that. But then I actually decided to visit the website, and I
was shocked. That must have taken you some time to get it so similar
to torproject.org. Just flipping back and forth between two tabs, I
was amazed at how close they are. But this amazement comes at a
potentially very steep price. Many others have already said it but are
you trying to confuse people? And you said, in not so many words, that
you know that your browser leaks DNS queries. How many people have
downloaded your browser thinking it is affiliated with Tor and that it
will provide them with anonymity? How many people are now at risk? [1]

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/torbrowser/files/stats/timeline