[tor-talk] http://torbrowser.sourceforge.net/

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Wed Aug 15 22:10:12 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Randolph D. <rdohm321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you already can see on the website, it is added (maybe done later than
> you looked first):
>
> "TorBrowser Source code is open source and not affiliated with Tor, but
> simply use Tor. "Tor" and the "Onion Logo" are registered trademarks of the
> Tor Project, Inc. Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons
> Attribution 3.0 License, unless otherwise noted."
>
> this should remove any confusion.

Really? I kind of doubt it. The site's look and feel is just like
ours; the disclaimer is in tiny letters at the bottom of the page, and
you are giving your program the same name to a program we release.

You are either trying to confuse your users or not.

If you are trying to confuse users, PLEASE STOP.  It is a wrong thing to do.

If you are not trying to confuse users, please don't pretend that
sticking a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the page is actually going
to unconfuse people.  Please don't pretend that people are going to
think that a project called "TorBrowser" is different from the Tor
project called "TorBrowser".  Please don't pretend that giving your
site the same look and feel as ours is not going to confuse people.
You aren't silly enough to believe any of those things, and neither
are we.

--
Nick