[tor-talk] http://torbrowser.sourceforge.net/

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Wed Aug 15 20:50:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:09:03 +0200
"Randolph D." <rdohm321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> the domain exists for years, it has been acquired for the Qt update,
> see the given 2010 release with still firefox.

From what I can tell, it didn't look like this since 2010.

> As there it TBB, Tor Browser Bundle, the TorBrowser should not affect
> this. It has been there for years, why should the domain be now a
> spot to look at? there could be a link to the changelog of the
> browser for the support of evidence of security, next to the features
> list. The Website is CC and so remixable, there is no need to use
> another template.

Right. Tor Project's Tor Browser is a part of the Tor Browser Bundle.

And let me be clear, so there is no confusion, we actively encourage
people to take our source code (website, tor browser, etc) and use it,
remix it, and try out new things. This is why we use CC-BY and BSD
3-Clause licenses.

Personally, I don't particularly care if firefox, dooble, or some other
new browser is the core of the Tor Project's Tor Browser. We (as Tor)
want whatever solution is best for the users. Right now, we believe
Firefox is the best solution. With your input and empirical results, we
can change our minds.

The disagreement isn't about copyright, it's about trademark.
Copyrights and trademarks are two different things.

> Tor URL and Project has been linked. So there is nothing that is
> creating doubt, the opposite is to assume, that the high quality
> standard for this website is overtaken, it is a good template.

I asked 10 people in the office we share if they were confused by the
two websites (granted they are lawyers, accountants, and paralegals).
And yes, they were confused. Adding the disclaimer, seen below,
somewhere obvious on your pages would go along way to removing the
confusion.

“This product is produced independently from the Tor® anonymity
software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality,
suitability or anything else.”

Thanks.

--
Andrew