[tor-talk] Tor virus

Philipp Winter identity.function at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 23:43:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:31:40PM +0200, ethio tor wrote:
> What if there is a tor "virus" (pardon for the choice of word) that can
> infect such pc and make a relay, bridge, or what ever on the background
> undetected.

Sounds like a "human rights worm". Some people thought about that before [1].

Aside from the obvious ethical difficulties, I would consider such a worm as
highly problematic because it works in the "interest" of an independent project
and would eventually damage its reputation (just think about how the media would
interpret it). And a damaged reputation might decrease Tor's user diversity
which, on the other hand, would hurt anonymity.

Philipp

[1] http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/censorbib/pdf/Aycock2008.pdf