[tor-talk] tor virus

ethio tor ethiotor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 20:36:03 UTC 2012

I am from Ethiopia. The problem faced by descendants in Ethiopia is many
fold. 90 million people, a brutal repressive government by any standard, a
single government owned ISP that has more  government spies  than actual
telecommunication workers, a very poor and limited mobile and data
infrastructure and sophisticated snooping (
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/ethiopia-introduces-deep-packet-inspection)
regime. Certainly tor could benefit many people if it could be used
"widely". But with all the above problems how? And it just occurred to me!!

I am not a coder so I don't know if it is possible. I am not certain what
ethical questions it could raise or if it should at all under the above
circumstance.

Most of the PCs in the country are in government offices or given to
government workers. And most of this PCs are the only once that has a
relatively fast and free Internet access. Some thing that is common about
all this PCs is that most of them are full of virus and Trojan horses (some
say Chinese origin). Even state minsters offices. I am sure by now you are
guessing where I am going with this.

What if there is a tor "virus" (pardon for the choice of word) that can
infect such pc and make a relay, bridge, or what ever on the background
undetected. Or that could be installed by some one and stay hidden and do
it's job.

I have a feeling that if it were a smart idea some one would have thought
of it but I could not sleep until I know how stupid an idea it is.