[tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

morristan morristan at tormail.org
Thu Aug 9 02:28:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 00:47:26 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.is>
> wrote:
>> How would you have us promote Tor?
>
> The “Tor users” page isn't presented as a promotional page, it is
> presented as a factual one. I also remember discussion on this list
> where I expressed doubt about some aspects listed there (military
> uses), and the overall claim was that the page is a good
> representation of the current userbase.

You did not answer Andrew's question, rather you went off into a
tangent. How would you promote Tor?

Please explain, in detail, how you use Tor and why you use tor to get
us started.

> So why not answer those questions honestly, and not pretend that
> users
> are stupid? As I said, it detracts from the project's credibility.
> Anyone who installs Tor (or I2P, for that matter) and explores the
> hidden services, immediately sees the overwhelmingly illegal (mostly,
> since it depends on jurisdiction) content. Anyone who runs an exit
> node immediately sees that a sizable portion of the traffic is of
> questionable nature. [1]

This is not true. http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#mccoy-pet2008 is one
study which refutes your assertion.

And here is another,
http://planete.inrialpes.fr/papers/TorTraffic-NSS10.pdf.

And here is another, with attempted content classification,
https://b.kentbackman.com/2010/05/06/what-kind-of-traffic-really-goes-on-tor-the-onion-router-networks/.

And more data,
http://www.omninerd.com/articles/What_Traffic_is_on_a_TOR_Relay

Do your own research. Run an exit and publish the tcpdump results.