[tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

morristan morristan at tormail.org
Thu Aug 9 02:05:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 09:07:49 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> I doubt that the Tor Project will ever acknowledge such support. Tor
> developers (or at least policy people) like to pretend that Tor is
> used for purposes that they consider morally right, and ignore the
> uses that are morally wrong [1].

Tor cannot market and state "#1 network of drug cartels worldwide". If
so, the tor project people will find themselves arrested and the
scapegoats for the US war on drugs. Canon does not market their cameras
as "great for child pornography" even though the high-end Canon cameras
are the #1 camera for child pornos. I suspect the flickr breakdown by
camera model is just as valid for child pornos as anything else,
https://secure.flickr.com/cameras/. As a curious side project, I am
analyzing all of the EXIF info from child pornography to determine which
cameras are popular. I suspect iphones and canon cameras are well
represented.

> I actually intend to write a Tor server patch to be able to gather
> .onion access statistics on relays, once I am sufficiently bored,
> just
> for the fun cognitive dissonance potential (expecting drugs and CP
> forums to top the list).

Please do and publish all of the data you collect. Do not publish just
the data that matches your suppositions. Torgle and other .onion search
engines should help you.