[tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Sat Aug 11 01:49:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 22:21 +0300, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM, With Weather Eye Open
> <wweo at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> > It is, in fact, difficult to do just by the nature of how Tor
> functions.  Even if you were logging everything that came out of an
> exit node that you control, you wouldn't be able to get good stats
> from that.  You'd need a significant sampling of other Tor exit nodes
> to do the same thing.
>
> That's not true, but it shows that you lack the probabilistic
> background required to reason about such things.

Well, you're assuming that an exit node (with some given exit policy)
sees a fair sampling of all Tor exit traffic. This is not the case. Look
into how Tor assigns exit nodes.

> > It's a bit hard to accept that you don't have an agenda to protect
> when you come in here asserting one of the most demonizing talking
> points against Tor with nothing hard to back up your claims other than
> "some guy on reddit said so."
>
> Fine, don't accept it, but if you can't understand what's discussed
> (as I said, Reddit post was just an illustrative example), and have
> nothing to contribute, just move on. I don't understand this need to
> inject an opinion just because you don't like the conclusions. Find
> something non-trivial to add to the discussion first.

The non-trivial thing being added to the discussion is that your
conclusions are based on flawed evidence.

This is not an opinion, it's a statement of fact from my perspective,
and apparently from others.

--
Sent from Ubuntu