[tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Thu Aug 9 23:51:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM, adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup.net> wrote:
> That wouldn't prove what Tor is used for most.
> .onion is only a part of Tor. 1% or 99%? Who can know that?

Now *that* can actually be measured at RV points, and I think should
be a part of Tor metrics. I suspect that the ratio is much closer to
1% (or even below that), but on the other hand, most “regular” Tor
users probably don't need anonymity, and would use a free VPN if it
was as simple to install as a TBB, so the meaning of low percentage is
moot. And of course, you could say the same about most .onion users —
they would trade drugs and CP on clearnet if that was legal. What I
would like to find is something interesting and unexpected that Tor is
used for (not from the propaganda list on “Tor users” page).

> I'd be also interested in a top50, 100, 1000, xxxxx of regular Tor exit
> traffic.
> And/or a port or destination IP wise statistic.

Some of that information is available in [1].

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/NSS.2010.47
(http://planete.inrialpes.fr/papers/TorTraffic-NSS10.pdf)

--
Maxim Kammerer