[tor-talk] Tor as ecommerce platform

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Wed Aug 8 06:07:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:27 AM, morristan <morristan at tormail.org> wrote:
> Perhaps the Silk Road people should donate to Tor. Perhaps they should fund
> hidden service improvements in Tor. Perhaps both.

I doubt that the Tor Project will ever acknowledge such support. Tor
developers (or at least policy people) like to pretend that Tor is
used for purposes that they consider morally right, and ignore the
uses that are morally wrong [1]. I believe it's an american thing —
one typical tell-tale sign is treating criminals as some masterminds
who can already easily achieve what they want [2] (americans are used
to doing the same in gun control debates), and ignoring the fact that
the project facilitates anonymity for criminals just as well, if not
more, as for non-criminals. Personally, I don't understand what's the
big deal about the make-believe game, and it probably detracts from
the project's credibility, but it's fun to watch nevertheless.

I actually intend to write a Tor server patch to be able to gather
.onion access statistics on relays, once I am sufficiently bored, just
for the fun cognitive dissonance potential (expecting drugs and CP
forums to top the list).

[1] https://www.torproject.org/about/torusers.html
[2] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq-abuse.html#WhatAboutCriminals
[3] http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vdhs8/hi_iama_we_are_core_members_of_the_tor_project/c53j9j9