[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sun Aug 5 18:38:23 UTC 2012

On 8/4/2012 2:00 PM, Juan Garofalo wrote:
> For what it's worth, I created a gmail account last week from my home,
> ordinary internet connection, argentina, and the phone # was not
> needed. But maybe that was because my IP was 'legitimate'?
That's a very interesting question / comment.  Also points out, Tor
users from many countries are reading the U.S. list.  I've no idea of
google policies / practices (or any other providers') for different
countries.  It's hard enough to pin point what they are in US, as
different US users report different Google / Gmail experiences.  Google
may "switch it up" to keep potential spammers off balance.  Or, due to
differences in users' browser / OS / FW / privacy software, etc., that
diff users have / don't have, Google believes it already has enough info
on a machine / location, that they don't need to ask for a phone #.
Don't know.

Different countries have diff regulations for email providers, ISPs,
etc.  That's fairly well documented.  Some countries have more "pro user
privacy" laws or regulations than others.

And as others point out, it - seems - might be a big difference in using
Firefox /w several privacy addons vs using Android OS.  I don't have
Android, but is it possible Google can already get enough info from an
Android device, that there's no need to ask for verifying phone #?
Google *funded* Android development - correct? Given Google's - proven -
privacy violation record, is it safe to assume they *may* be getting
more info than Android users would like, or are aware of?

Recent replies to the original topic have nothing to do w/ GMX, per se,
which is why another user & I changed the subject, but others
accidentally replied to an older post w/ original GMX subject.  Still,
overall info of keeping anonymous when using various services is
obviously of great interest.  Might take a team of people (or be
impossible), but given the constant interest in how to sign up / protect
anonymity using Tor w/ specific services, would be extremely helpful to
have reasonably *updated* documentation on how to sign up or use Tor w/
specific services.

Have the info posted on one web page (w/ links to specific topics),
rather than get lost in this list's archives.  I appreciate earlier
efforts on torrifying apps, etc., but much is outdated.  AFAIK, there's
not much in a central location on topics like, "how to sign up w/ ABC,
XYZ using Tor."  Then instructions on how to *use* Tor & a service (like
webmail provider) w/o compromising anonymity.   Yes, it would require
constant updating as providers' methods changed.  I KNOW it's difficult
to write or compile such info, but I see lack of documentation for avg
users, as a huge limiting factor for getting more Tor users (thus, more
anonymity).  Problem: if Tor / TBB become hugely popular, even many
"democratic" countries may ban it?

"We choose to make Tor easier to use, not because it is easy, but
because it is hard." :)