[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

dumbnewbie dumbnewbie at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 04:15:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk at gmx.com> wrote:
> It'd be hard to avg user to create anonymous Gmail acct.  Maybe use a throw away cell phone; use WiFi that's near pay phone?  Google SAYS they won't do anything w/ the phone # or SMS device, except to verify the acct.  But then, Google says a lot of things.  It only deters "honest" people from setting up anonymous accts - criminal types will use throw away phones, etc.

In my country it's difficult (but not impossible!) to obtain "throw
away" SIM cards due to industry regulations that require telcos and
retailers to obtain proof of ID at the point of sale and registration
of SIM cards. AFAIK,  this proof of ID and the SIM card information is
registered with a government agency.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be wary of that approach. It would be some work for me to verify
> on such a semi-closed system that all traffic did go through Tor. Even
> if it did, if any closed binaries/firmware on that system are involved
> in the process, they could easily be sending your
> MAC/UUID/serial/IMEI, etc over TLS as part of the signup process.
> Which as you use further apps, services, and surfing would be linked
> to that. I don't know much about Android hardware/software, but if
> this is the case, I'd rather not spend that much money on what would
> then necessarily become a one time use device.

That's a valid concern. It's important for people to remember that,
although a Google/GMail account might not be used for personal email,
once it's associated to a personal Android device you've lost your
privacy/anonymity on that device.