[tor-talk] transfer .onion addreess to another server

Justin Aplin japlin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 03:39:38 UTC 2012

On 8/4/2012 9:49 PM, Salva . wrote:
> Hello guys, I have an .onion website, I need transfer all my website to another server and I don't wanna to lose this address.

I'm going to assume that you're migrating your entire Tor node
(including the hidden service) to a new physical server, instead of
trying to move the hidden service from one Tor node to another.

> How can I have the same .onion address in another server ? I mean, What should I do to transfer my website to another server keeping the same onion address?Thanks u all guys

Moving the "keys" directory (and all its contents) and the "fingerprint"
file from the DataDirectory of your current node to the DataDirectory of
your new node will preserve the identity of your node. Moving the
"private_key" and "hostname" files from the HiddenServiceDirectory of
your current node to the HiddenServiceDirectory of your new node will
preserve the identity of your hidden service.

If you do both of these, nobody should be able to tell that anything has
been changed. When you've made sure everything is running as expected,
you can delete the DataDirectory and HiddenServiceDirectory on the old
hardware to prevent duplicate server descriptors (which will result in
odd behavior, like your hidden service only being reachable some of the
time). If you plan to continue running a Tor node on the old hardware, a
new set of keys and a new fingerprint will automatically be generated.

~Justin Aplin