[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Aug 4 15:00:15 UTC 2012

On 8/4/2012 5:11 AM, dumbnewbie wrote:

> The only way I've been able to create a Gmail account recently was through an Android tablet. I installed Orbot and Orweb APKs so all traffic was through Tor at the time, then created the account through Settings > Acounts & Sync > Add Account. I was surprised it didn't want a phone number.
> I've created accounts with hushmail but they block some exit nodes.
> I saw http://safe-mail.net mentioned  before and I can confirm that they don't reject Tor users. I use these guys the most. I've read some suspicions about them, though, because their NS is through barak.net.il but I don't know if that's a valid concern.
>
> Cheers,
> dn.

It'd be hard to avg user to create anonymous Gmail acct.  Maybe use a
throw away cell phone; use WiFi that's near pay phone?  Google SAYS they
won't do anything w/ the phone # or SMS device, except to verify the
acct.  But then, Google says a lot of things.  It only deters "honest"
people from setting up anonymous accts - criminal types will use throw
away phones, etc.

In my search for providers to create accts using Tor, Safe-mail was
one.  Yes - based in Israel.  Don't know it's a big concern, except some
servers might filter email from foreign countries - but many don't.
They have long, 6 mo period before inactivating accts w/o login; Storage
of 3 MB is very low.  Send a msg, then del, I guess.

Privatdemail.net is in Egypt & don't allow sending email to Israel.  SAY
they don't log *any* files or IP addresses.  Have decent 500 MB storage;
10 MB max message size; support POP / IMAP; 90 day deactivation if no
login.  No idea how many servers would filter mail from Egypt.