[tor-talk] Creating email accounts via Tor was: Re: anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Aug 3 21:02:07 UTC 2012

On 8/3/2012 1:08 PM, antispam06 at sent.at wrote:
>> Good to know, but how?  How'd you create Gmail acct w/ Tor & not give mobile #?  How did you get GMX to accept a Tor address (got lucky?).
> Hahaha
Haha???  :(

>> how long / how much effort did it take; what techniques were used?  Did some just get lucky on a couple of tries w/ NON blacklisted Tor IPs...
> Anyway to satisfy your curiosity they were all made in the past 12 months or so when I needed. Apart from one issue with Lavabit solved
> with two changes of exit nodes, everything went smooth.
It sounds like you did get "lucky" if the 1st exit IPs used worked the
1st time on most accounts you set up.
EITHER - in GMX case, I happened to randomly get multiple IP addresses,
over hrs & days, ALL blacklisted by GMX (& you *didn't*), or GMX has a
way to tell it's the same computer using a diff Tor address.  It's one
or the other, or both.  Somehow, I doubt that they have that ability -
not sure.

At this point, GMX is only an example.  I won't be using this acct
often.  Other than some other providers have much shorter acct
deactivation period if no login, which I WILL forget & then have to
create another "anonymous" acct.  I don't blow whistles everyday &
*definitely* won't be storing those emails on server.

>> You mention using ANOTHER machine & so did GMX "support," after they replied, that (one) Tor address I used was blacklisted.
> Yes. But we don't mean the same. Gmx meant going online in another place. I meant going through another place.

They said "another computer."  Why they said it, or exactly what they
meant, don't know.  I replied & asked to clarify.
By "going _through_ another place," you mean like WiFi w/o Tor, or
somewhere that they (email provider) can't link to ME (real ISP) & I
also don't have to use Tor to register?

You said, "_How about going through another computer._"
I meant, I question the wisdom, using another person's computer (_w/o
Tor or *some* anonymizing means_) to create email acct to be used for
whistle blowing.  Don't want anything coming back on friends / family.
And if you meant, use another computer AND Tor, don't see the point.  My
computer isn't the problem (unless sites like GMX, others can ID it),
even after clearing & closing TBB & getting new address.  Maybe I should
check for super cookies. :D

Yes, Gmail does actively *scan* email, to deliver targeted ads. Says
exactly that in TOS and / or PP (least, it did short time ago).
Probably others as well, if read their docs carefully.