[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Aug 3 14:31:40 UTC 2012

Thanks for all replies.  I'm responding to antispam06's reply, only
because it was last of several.  Because the issue is more complex than
I thought, GMX is no longer the sole focus.  Overall, the info should
benefit *lots* of users, IMHO.

On 8/3/2012 3:39 AM, antispam06 at sent.at wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012, at 23:19, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> So, big surprise, lots of people are using Tor addresses & then doing
>> crap to give it (certain addresses, anyway) a bad name & get blacklisted.
>>
> I guess that is an example of taking things out of context. A lot of
> people give ISPs a bad name. A lot of people give countries a bad name.
Absolutely - never said or hinted Tor was only network or service being
abused.  But I'm talking about using Tor to sign up for email.
GMX probably blacklisted (many?) Tor IP addresses simply because several
users tried signing up w/ same IP over time.  I tried several - hrs /
days apart, after clearing everything in latest TBB, AFAIK; getting new
identity / IP address.  RE-jected!
> As for your certainty: I do have accounts from all mentioned services
> (Gmail, Yahoo, Gmx) and everything was done over Tor.
Good to know, but how?  How'd you create Gmail acct w/ Tor & not give
mobile #?  How did you get GMX to accept a Tor address (got lucky?).
I'm not arguing. Obviously, I'm not as experienced / crafty / lucky as
some, so looking for HOW folks *recently* created email accts w/ various
providers, using Tor - or other "anonymous" ways.  I haven't tried -
every - provider w/ Tor & would prefer not to spend days.  I've learned
a lot from responses (as will others, not so experienced using Tor for
this).

How long ago did you (or others) create them; have providers since
changed methods;  how long / how much effort did it take; what
techniques were used?  Did some just get lucky on a couple of tries w/
NON blacklisted Tor IPs, or did it take days & dozens of Tor addresses,
using all techniques you mentioned?
> Why not go through an open WiFi? ... How about going through another
> computer? And I don't mean using proxy software.
I suppose WiFi is a possibility, but I don't frequent WiFi spots.
Correct me if wrong, but if logging on in the "clear" *vs* using Tor,
they can get more info about your machine, that can possibly identify it
later?
You mention using ANOTHER machine & so did GMX "support," after they
replied, that (one) Tor address I used was blacklisted.
Does that - possibly - mean that for any user in this scenario, even
using *Tor* for registering (& failing 1st few attempts), a provider
collected enough info to ID my PC again, even if use another address
(Tor or not)?  This topic is no longer JUST about GMX.

Using others computers to create an acct that might be used for whistle
blowing (w/o Tor or proxy - or what DID you mean?) ... not sure about
that one.

I understand most providers will (certainly can) scan unencrypted
email.  But, if sending whistle blower or msgs to neighbors w/ junk
cars, won't be sending encrypted ones.
I just don't want them to trace me.  Not trying to outwit LEA here, even
though it'd be nice not to have mail scanned.