[tor-talk] Anonymizing middlebox - What's the function of VirtualAddrNetwork config option?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Fri Aug 3 11:15:34 UTC 2012

Noel Pluny:
> Hi,
>
> I have only a little experience like system admin but I would like to set up an
> anonymizing middlebox for a subnet; so I was reading the page
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxy but I can not
> understand the funziont of the VirtualAddrNetwork option - it is not related to
> the address of the subnet, right? It is only a functional address?

See Tor manual [1] for VirtualAddrNetwork. (Will allow nslookup against
.onion.)

> Also, I found in previous page the indication for the TransListenAddress option
> but in man page of my tor (0.2.3.19-rc) it is marked as DEPRECATED: does the
> page in the wiki need an upgrade?

The whole wiki needs updated articles.

I consider the whole article dubious. There are so many considerations
missing, Transparent Proxy Leaks site [2] has been created by me but
it's far from complete. There is aos [3], also a project of mine working
on determining, documenting and fixing the issues.

Issues such as not forcing the whole operating system through the same
TransPort (same circuit, identity correlation), secure time sync over
Tor, using Tor Browser behind an anonymzing middlebox without doing Tor
over Tor and so on.

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual-dev.html.en
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TransparentProxyLeaks
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBOX