[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

antispam06 at sent.at antispam06 at sent.at
Fri Aug 3 08:39:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012, at 23:19, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> So, big surprise, lots of people are using Tor addresses & then doing
> crap to give it (certain addresses, anyway) a bad name & get blacklisted.
> Question:  was mentioned about using Tor to access Yahoo mail.
> Certainly, you can't OPEN a Gmail acct w/ Tor w/o giving mobile #, 1st
> born son, etc.  Can't sign up for GMX w/ Tor.

I guess that is an example of taking things out of context. A lot of
people give ISPs a bad name. A lot of people give countries a bad name.
And so on. Anybody who's online has a share of it. Unpatched servers,
firewalls set up with defaults, faulty routers, anything for anybody.
You missing out on the latest OS patch could mean somebody would take
control of your box and give you a bad name. Do not single out Tor as a
source of problems. Most of the public wants to hear that to shift the
attention from their broken Symbians or old corporate Windows installs.

So I think its less about abuse and more about old filters
misunderstanding what's going on. After all, so many people get online
over NAT, yet most filters are set up in the usual, now stupid way, of
couting by IP connections. Yet given the subject more and more people
are reading this and giving it a try. Each individual just wants to see
for oneself. But as a whole it is an abuse: a couple of Tot exits asking
for new accounts every 5 minutes.

As for your certainty: I do have accounts from all mentioned services
(Gmail, Yahoo, Gmx) and everything was done over Tor.

> Why would Yahoo allow using Tor?  Or, is it that the acct was NOT
> created using Tor, but later accessing it via Tor - * as antispam06
> mentioned * ?  (not sure exactly what he meant)  What would that
> accomplish, for anonymity?  If you didn't create the acct w/ Tor (or
> proxy), they know the real IP address of the owner.  Thanks.

Because they are still getting a lot of information. My Yahoo account
(accessed behind Tor) gives quite a few insides on my activities. Just
not linked with a certain geographical place. That makes my life easier,
as I am quite lazy, and helps them keep their userbase. The moment they
are going to block Tor users that is going to be marked somewhere
online. And me and others affected by that move would have to urge our
contacts to move to other equaly gratis sites. They are going to keep
the Yahoo mailbox as a storage for many / large attachments. Meaning
Yahoo would get to pay for the hard drive space and have less info to
use. Sure, it's not a big deal in the context of their millions of
users. But it's something to think about. They launched the unlimited
account and people were still switching to Gmail just for it being
cooler. Next time some idiot would make a webmail comparison on some
site it would throw in that blocking as one more reason to switch to the
company that paid him for the article.

And again. Tor is not the tool for the bad guys. It's slow. Tor exit
nodes are public and blocked in some cases. Why not go through an open
WiFi? That would reveal your geographic location at a certain instant in
time. Otherwise it's open. How about going through another computer? And
I don't mean using proxy software.

As for yahoo there other UFO-type mysteries. Why do they keep their
services out in the open. It was mentioned the Men in Black have their
harvesting machines in the Yahoo datacenters. As Skype they still get a
copy of everything that goes through their network. Why not add TLS to
every connection be it webmail, IM, or whatever? Or how come a new
account, once it gets over a certain level of trafic, even if it is with
a short list of trusted emails, it starts getting spam? A lot more spam
than any other webmail service I have used lately. Or you ask yourself
why would they allow Tor? Because they see everything you send and to
whom. But why they do not block PGP / GPG emails? They are very obvious.
And it's a pain to try to crack one only to find out a grocery list from
some geek to his programmer wife.