[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 07:57:32 UTC 2012

> Sounds a little harsh.  Any reason * whatsoever *?

It's called covering ass, and not having to debate with you who's
definition of 'abuse' is right.  If you cause them problems, they
can drop you.  Doesn't mean if you send death threats they drop
you, only that they can.  This is actually a pretty honest policy,
as most other AUP's will just hide it behind a few pages of legal
loopholes and out's for themselves.  And you're leeching their free
account.

> If the U.S. gov't allowed them not to keep ANY records, _every
> terrorist_ in this country & many others would be flocking to Riseup.

My belief from study is that there are NO laws in the US that require
internet services to ask for or keep anything. In finance side yes,
certain things are legally or contractually required. But server
logs are not one of them. Server logs are generally kept for business
metrics by legitimate mega corps, they're in it for money, not soul.
And to look good or feel good when an incident comes in. Also, note
that having no logs will much faster result in lobbying for logs,
than taking a balanced approach.

Facilities based telephony is of course excluded... calea, etc.

Regardless, in the US, and the world, you should always assume all
your data is logged and act accordingly. TLA's, orders, warrants,
and plain old snooping are easily things go.