[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Thu Aug 2 23:04:06 UTC 2012

Hi Tor Talk,

Lurker and user of Tor here. Thanks y'all for your hard work making Tor
possible!

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com:

> 2nd, I can't find anywhere - w/o signing up - what Riseup's general
> "starting" storage quota or max message and / or attachment size
> limits are, even using search engines.
>
> I understand IF they don't make $ off advertising, they need it from
> other sources (donations). But, their suggested "individual"
> donation of $5 - 15 > / mo & for businesses, 1% of annual budget
> (Ex.: $100 for $10K budget) seems lopsided. A business /
> organization will generate way more traffic
> than (especially) me.
> But, I don't know what I'd get for $5 / mo, even if I liked them,
> unless I sign up or another user tells me.

I use riseup. My current storage quota -- which I believe would be
yours, were you to sign up -- is 92 MB. Riseup says the storage
quota fluctuates a bit and might go up in the future. I think you
can also request a higher quota if you have good reasons. Since I
mostly POP everything out, the quota doesn't cause me trouble. Maybe
it would if I suddenly became famous/notorious while in an extended
coma, receiving a zillion Twitter auto-emails notifying me of new
followers. :) :(

My attachment limit is 2 MB, which is reckoned per email -- I assume
it'd be the same for you. The attachment limit presents something of
a difficulty for me, a freelance writer, since big .DOCs and .PDFs
can exceed 2 MB. But clients can deal with workarounds.

Never seen an ad on Riseup (of course, I use adblockers). I don't
know if there's a size limit for incoming attachments.

I don't think they offer premium services, but I could be wrong.
It's free with donations strongly encouraged.

One good way to donate to Riseup is through Flattr!
https://flattr.com/thing/523584/Donate-to-Riseup With Flattr you can
shoot Riseup a micro-donation via a flattr click, a recurring
subscription of flattr clicks, or just send a straightforward
donation up to your monthly Flattr donation limit, which as of this
May is EUR150.

:-Douglas