[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Aug 2 21:19:55 UTC 2012

On 8/1/2012 9:17 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>> Riseup has been recommend by (imho) trustworthy and honest people.
> RiseUp is that place that makes you fill out *why* you want
> one of their free accounts, your activism. What do you guys put in there?
> Can you just leave it blank? Or say 'not applicable',
> no reason, unspecified. Do you have to say 'anonymous',
> research, education, personal use? Or tell them of
> your love of dogs?
>
> I'm happy with other comon non-gmail free providers. RiseUp
> is cool/important so I'd not use them unless I had to and could
> donate.
>

> If you do not use the invite method, please tell us about your
> activism. Do not include acronyms or personally identifiable
> information. This information will be destroyed as soon as your
> account is approved.
> wait for us to approve your request.

Thanks.  Riseup says they don't store IP addresses or log emails. If
(for a company in U.S.) the gov't will even ALLOW that, then that's good
- as almost all provider say they log to some extent. BUT... considering
ISPs, wireless providers, Skype - on & on - are being "forced" into
either keeping records, that can be demanded w/ very little reason from
an LEA, or are being strong armed into providing backdoors, I at least *
question * whether one mail provider (onshore, in U.S.) can resist the
long arm of the law.

I may be wrong.  But, as most know, just because a company makes claims,
doesn't mean they're true.

2nd, I can't find anywhere - w/o signing up - what Riseup's general
"starting" storage quota or max message and / or attachment size limits
are, even using search engines.
I understand IF they don't make $ off advertising, they need it from
other sources (donations).  But, their suggested "individual" donation
of $5 - 15 / mo & for businesses, 1% of annual budget (Ex.:  $100 for
$10K budget) seems lopsided.  A business / organization will generate
way more traffic than (especially) me. But, I don't know what I'd get
for $5 / mo, even if I liked them, unless I sign up or another user
tells me.

Re:  GMX & Tor address problem.  GMX responded to request I sent about
not being able to sign up w/ Tor - at my organization (wink). They
request on their site to include the IP you're having problems
registering with, so I gave the (current) Tor IP.  They said,
> Dear GMX Customer,
>
> This IP address has been marked in a blacklist. Even if it changes we
> recommend you to create an account from another computer or to contact
> your internet provider.
So, big surprise, lots of people are using Tor addresses & then doing
crap to give it (certain addresses, anyway) a bad name & get blacklisted.
Question:  was mentioned about using Tor to access Yahoo mail.
Certainly, you can't OPEN a Gmail acct w/ Tor w/o giving mobile #, 1st
born son, etc.  Can't sign up for GMX w/ Tor.

Why would Yahoo allow using Tor?  Or, is it that the acct was NOT
created using Tor, but later accessing it via Tor - * as antispam06
mentioned * ?  (not sure exactly what he meant)  What would that
accomplish, for anonymity?  If you didn't create the acct w/ Tor (or
proxy), they know the real IP address of the owner.  Thanks.