[tor-talk] how does Tor generate IP Address

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 17:24:09 UTC 2012

anu nivas:
> Hello,

I hope I understand you correctly.

> I would like to know how IP addresses are generated by Tor.

Tor doesn't generate IP addresses. You, the client, connect to an entry
node, which sees your IP address (but does not know where you want to
connect to), from there you connect to another node, which does not know
where the traffic is originally coming from and where it's going to;
from there you connect to an exit, which extends the circuit to the
destination. (The exit knows where the traffic goes to, but not know who
you are, it does know you IP).

The destination will see the IP address of the exit node instead of your
IP address. The exit IP address has been assigned by the ISP.

> If I use Tor ,
> is there a chance that my IP address would be assigned as proxy address of
> another Tor client?

When you run Tor as a client only, the answer is no. "Run as a client
only." (default for the TorBrowserBundle, at least)

You can, however, relay traffic.

"Relay traffic inside the Tor network (non-exit relay)" would make you
an entry node and a middle node. Other clients connect to you and you
relay traffic to middle nodes. You relay traffic from entry nodes to
exit-nodes. Your IP address never "appears" on a destination, you never
connect to anything else as the Tor network itself. Please note that
your IP address will be listed in public. (That's how Tor works.)

Would require you to be online for a very long time.

"Relay traffic for the Tor network (exit relay)" would make you relay
traffic within the Tor network and connect to destinations. Then your IP
address "appears" on such destination.

Would require uptime and high bandwidth. It's not recommended to run an
exit node on an residential connection. Plus it's not recommended unless
you understand the consequences.

"Help censored users reach the Tor network" (aka Bridge) would make you
run a "hidden" entry node which IP address is not public. (Censored)
users request access to the Tor network and get your bridge address,
which contains your IP address to reach the network. Your IP address is
revealed to such users and of course the node you relay the traffic to
sees your IP address as well, but it could think you are a client,
because your IP address is not listed in public. You don't make
connections, outside the Tor network, for clients.

This relaying mode (Bridge mode) requires being online for a couple of
hours. Bandwidth is not important.

> Thank You
> Anupama

I hope I could help you.