[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed Aug 1 21:45:33 UTC 2012

Joe Btfsplk:
> On 8/1/2012 1:56 PM, adrelanos wrote:
>> If you connect to Tor first, then visit hidemyass or similar and then
>> register, if you do that only once, I see no problem with that as long
>> you only use it for registration and not entering identifying data.
>> Note that hidemyass or similar will know the whole content of the
>> transmission because it's a web based proxy. Therefore change your
>> secret answer, alternate e-mail and passwords after setting up the
>> account. The question remains if after account creation you will have
>> less trouble over Tor or if hidemyass or similar isn't blocked for
>> registration as well.
> Gotten several suggestions - thanks for all.  Point:  Being ABLE to sign
> up w/ an email provider via Tor * & * that provider being trustworthy
> (not selling your address, scanning contents to sell for advertising [if
> don't encrypt messages] are 2 entirely different things.  Like doctor,
> mechanic recommendations, I always prefer them from actual clients /
> users (preferably > 1) that have used them > 1x & been satisfied.

[...]

> If those requirements help anyone w/ suggestions of providers they've
> personally used - or read enough unbiased, technical reviews to be
> reasonably sure a provider has a very good reputation, that's better
> than, "I've heard of these - give them a look."

Got it. Good point. There has been very few research done on that subject.

Always makes sense to use a trustworthy mail provider as an activist
instant of a non-trustworthy. Even if you use GPG. They can still try a
targeted attack on your browser of tell who is communicating with whom
and sell some metadata like when you logged in etc.

Riseup has been recommend by (imho) trustworthy and honest people.

Tormail is anonymously run, could be run by evil or honest people. Who
knows. 50/50 chance I'd say. If they are honest, they can not be forced
into cooperating with an adversary. In that case they were even better
than Riseup. Or they are already run by your adversary and then you are
left with the protections provided by Tor (and gpg).

On the other hand riseup hosts servers in US, thus they are subject to
US laws.

Other then using a well motivated and known mail provider you could try
a different approach. If your whistleblow is about country X, use a mail
provider in country Y. Any countries (almost) in war with each other are
are good choice and unlikely to share any intelligence. And even then,
it could be pointless, if the server security in that country is poor.

Due to lack of theoretical research and practical tests or stories the
perfect decision for the best resistant mail provider is more than
difficult.