[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed Aug 1 20:47:44 UTC 2012

Jerzy Łogiewa:
> I have 1 idea for this
>
> Why cannot tor be used in such a way: as a home user, i am willing to let tor users use my connection for a few sites. gmail gmx and other mail sites for example.
>
> Can we have some option that lets home tor users share their connections in some limited way?
>
> Good for registrations, I think!

There are options. Provide a free SSH, VPN or proxy. Or for simplicity
provide a web based proxy such as hidemyass is using. That's called cgi
proxy and I think I've seen free open source implementations.

Then allow only a few outgoing sites. You can also allow only Tor users
to connect (and show non-Tor users a notice).

Be prepared for abuse, you can not know if they user your IP for
registration, bomb thread or other kinds of abuse.

You can post your suggestion into the Tor trac as well. Don't expect any
or fast progress. Before they ever implement such stuff they check for
anonymity issues and they require loads of research before they add
something. In meanwhile you are probable better of providing the cgi
proxy I suggested.

But if you ask me, forget about "gmx and others" and use "riseup and
others" and GPG or e-mail alternatives.

That said, home users are probable a better help for the Tor project if
they volunteer a bridge, relay, documentation, translation, code, and so
on, see torproject.org volunteer site.