[tor-talk] anyone created an acct on GMX using Tor?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Aug 1 14:47:50 UTC 2012

On 8/1/2012 6:32 AM, Juan Cristian wrote:
> After seing these posts I went ahead & tried to register w/o Tor & find the same errors (& many more red-herring errors from poor validation javascript on the registration page) - The only things I have that might be interfering with the process are request policy, which blocks all cross-domain requests on a page, and which I opened up for the GMX registration page, and a hosts file with loopbacks for most annoying ad services, which I also temporarily removed. Nothing doing - after 5 attempts I still get the same validation error:
> "1. Your registration could not be processed at the moment. Please try again later. If the error persists, please contact us."
> Seems like bad architecture, sloppy validation, or a combination of th two at work here more than actual security...
>
> On Jul 31, 2012, at 9:48 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>
>> On 7/31/2012 7:26 PM, jed c wrote:
>>> This is a wacky idea. No harm in trying though. How about trying something like hidemyass through tor? I know it doesnt really provide anonymity, but maybe it will mask your location long enough to open an account. If you can open the account then reset your password after setup.

I'm not married to idea of using GMX & Tor.  So if others have
suggestions for free email service that works w/ Tor or is actually
reasonably anonymous (I'm not trying to outwit NSA, here), I could go
that route vs beating my head against a GMX wall.

Juan / Jed, I tried running Tor through several well known web proxies.
Even though proxies had options to allow / disable scripts," when I
allowed scripts, GMX still showed message, "Please enable JS & try
again."  NOTE:  I've used Tor / TBB & some of same proxies directly w/
Firefox, & never gotten a "Please enable javascript" message from any
site, AFAIK.

Tried a few proxies - some SSL, some not.  Some proxies showed (or
allowed choosing) a U.S. location, so that wasn't the issue.  Tor is
also using US exits.

Also entered GMX.com & the proxy's domain on NoScript white list.  No
change after reloading GMX / proxy page in TBB.  GMX still gave "enable
javascript..."

Then as test, tried just Firefox 14 thru the proxies, that HAD options
to enable JS (I did).  Same result - GMX still thinks JS is disabled.
It's really only page I've gotten that message using proxies, but...
never tried creating an email acct - * in last few yrs * - using Tor or
a proxy .  Between each try, I deleted cookies, closed pages, cleared
cache, got new IP (when using Tor).