[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.3.15-alpha is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Apr 30 21:05:51 UTC 2012

Tor 0.2.3.15-alpha fixes a variety of smaller bugs, including making
the development branch build on Windows again.

https://www.torproject.org/download/download

(Packages coming eventually.)

Changes in version 0.2.3.15-alpha - 2012-04-30
  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.2.x and earlier):
    - Make sure that there are no unhandled pending TLS errors before
      reading from a TLS stream. We had checks in 0.1.0.3-rc, but
      lost them in 0.1.0.5-rc when we refactored read_to_buf_tls().
      Bugfix on 0.1.0.5-rc; fixes bug 4528.
    - Fix an assert that directory authorities could trigger on sighup
      during some configuration state transitions. We now don't treat
      it as a fatal error when the new descriptor we just generated in
      init_keys() isn't accepted. Fixes bug 4438; bugfix on 0.2.1.9-alpha.
    - After we pick a directory mirror, we would refuse to use it if
      it's in our ExcludeExitNodes list, resulting in mysterious failures
      to bootstrap for people who just wanted to avoid exiting from
      certain locations. Fixes bug 5623; bugfix on 0.2.2.25-alpha.
    - When building with --enable-static-tor on OpenBSD, do not
      erroneously attempt to link -lrt. Fixes bug 5103.

  o Minor bugfixes (on 0.2.3.x):
    - When Tor is built with kernel headers from a recent (last few
      years) Linux kernel, do not fail to run on older (pre-2.6.28
      Linux kernels). Fixes bug 5112; bugfix on 0.2.3.1-alpha.
    - Fix cross-compilation isssues with mingw. Bugfixes on 0.2.3.6-alpha
      and 0.2.3.12-alpha.
    - Fix compilation with miniupnpc version 1.6; patch from
      Anthony G. Basile. Fixes bug 5434; bugfix on 0.2.3.12-alpha.
    - Fix compilation with MSVC, which had defined MS_WINDOWS. Bugfix
      on 0.2.3.13-alpha; found and fixed by Gisle Vanem.
    - Fix compilation on platforms without unistd.h, or where environ
      is defined in stdlib.h. Fixes bug 5704; bugfix on 0.2.3.13-alpha.

  o Minor features:
    - Directory authorities are now a little more lenient at accepting
      older router descriptors, or newer router descriptors that don't
      make big changes. This should help ameliorate past and future
      issues where routers think they have uploaded valid descriptors,
      but the authorities don't think so. Fix for ticket 2479.
    - Make the code that clients use to detect an address change be
      IPv6-aware, so that it won't fill clients' logs with error
      messages when trying to get the IPv4 address of an IPv6
      connection. Implements ticket 5537.

  o Removed features:
    - Remove the GiveGuardFlagTo_CVE_2011_2768_VulnerableRelays option;
      authorities needed to use it for a while to keep the network working
      as people upgraded to 0.2.1.31, 0.2.2.34, or 0.2.3.6-alpha, but
      that was six months ago. As of now, it should no longer be needed
      or used.