[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.3.14-alpha is out

Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> bastik.tor at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:41:42 UTC 2012

Joe Btfsplk, 26.04.2012 17:57:
> On 4/23/2012 2:38 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> Tor 0.2.3.14-alpha fixes yet more bugs to get us closer to a release
>> candidate. It also dramatically speeds up AES: fast relays should
>> consider switching to the newer OpenSSL library.
>>
>> https://www.torproject.org/download/download
> Where is v0.2.3.14-alpha?  All I see from your link & also searching d/l
> site & blog is v0.2.3.12a.

Only the source has been released. 0.2.3.13-alpha has been released as
source only, too. Sometimes there are no pre-compiled versions. While I
don't know why that's the case, I know (at least I got told that, for
another project) that compiling takes up some time.

While Windows does not ship with compilers, many Linux distributions do
so. Back in 2011 there was an "source-only" release and while I was
waiting for a binary (which never came), I checked how many relays
updated to that version and was surprised that the number was increasing
rapidly over a few days.

I don't know if that's still true, since the platform strings are no
longer available on the metrics page. I was not interested in knowing
how many did. It's still possible to do so.

Regards,
bastik_tor