[tor-talk] Tor to VPN to Internet = Bad. Why?

Low-Key² cryptic303 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 14:06:31 UTC 2012

Recently, I'd come across some chatter that suggested that connecting to a VPN via TOR was not a good idea and, rather, the better idea was to connect to a VPN that then used Tor.  I've not found any articles on the net that really discuss this issue.  My concern stems from more of a curiosity due to an encrypted private web proxy I used to run for foreign activists.  While the proxy would have appeared entirely benign to anyone in their regime, a number used Tor to connect to it. My larger question is, if there is a security concern for using Tor to connect to a VPN which then connects to the internet, would the same concerns apply to people who use Tor to connect to an encrypted web proxy?  Thanks in advance for any replies.