[tor-talk] Restarting Firefox

Andrew Lewman andrew at torproject.is
Mon Apr 16 19:45:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:43:23 +0200
Agapetos <agapetos.typhonis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm... I'm a bit sad to hear that because it's very inconvenient for
> some of us to run Firefox 24/7 just because we'd like to help the
> network with relaying. Perhaps in the future you will make it a bit
> more user-friendly in this regard.

The browser bundle is for tor clients, not relays. If you want to run a
relay, on unixes, then install tor and configure it as a relay.

We make an assumption that if you are running some sort of unix, you
can handle your package management system, or compile from source, and
edit the torrc file.

You should easily be able to run both TBB and tor as a relay on your
system. TBB on linux and osx randomizes controlport and socksport to
avoid conflicts with tor's configured as a daemon via torrc.

If you are on Windows, we don't have a solution yet for running TBB and
Tor as a service. Well, to be more clear, we have the solution in
randomizing ports, but Windows' anti-virus/anti-malware programs think
tor is malware in this state for some silly reason. So because of these
anti-user programs, Windows' users suffer for now.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact