[tor-talk] my tor connection always timed out these days

Zhen Ling lingzhen1982 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:03:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

According to the recent research of [1], I think it is useless to obtain
the new bridges that does not support Obfsproxy [2] in China. Even if
the Chinese users derive the new bridges which are not blocked in China,
once the bridges are used by them, these bridges will be promptly
discovered by GFC based on the protocol-level bridge discovery approach
and then blocked. Therefore, currently, in order to effectively connect
to the Tor network in China, the Chinese users should use the Obfsproxy
to obfuscate the specific feature of the TLS protocol used by Tor. Since
SkypeMorph [3] is not widely deployed, Obfsproxy is the only tool that
we can use.

However, how do people in China retrieve the Obfsproxy supported
bridges? Still obtain them via emails or https? [1] indicates that the
13 hard-coded obfsproxy bridges in the official obfsproxy bundle have
been already blocked.

[1] http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/static/gfc/
[2] https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy.html.en
[3] http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2012/cacr2012-08.pdf