[tor-talk] 'Iran plans to unplug the Internet, launch its own "clean" alternative'

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Tue Apr 10 17:17:39 UTC 2012

This latest 'Iran is going to disconnect the Internet' paroxysm originated
from a year-old April Fools joke that was resubmitted to a popular social
media aggregator last week. The meme exploded across Persian-language blogs
within the day.

Not only is it not posturing, it is factually incorrect.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Zebro kojos <zebro.kojos at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/iran-plans-to-unplug-the-internet-launch-its-own-clean-alternative.ars
>
> Perhaps there are more sources with more detailed/sourced info.
>
> Thought this was relevant.
>
> I wonder whether they plan / the idea would be to completely detach from
> any foreign communications, save for some 'approved' nodes for banks and
> such.
>
> I suppose if the Dark net plan were more mature at this point, it would be
> possible to theorize the creation of a mediating cluster of nodes connected
> to the internet via wifi-darknet / whatnot, that would rebroadcast to the
> local darknet via wifi etc.
>
> But holy damn. (I suppose the Iranian plan is premature etc., but still.)

*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.