[tor-talk] access sites

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Fri Apr 6 01:43:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 03:44, Ted Smith <tedks at riseup.net> wrote:
> According to the paper *you linked*, they're outnumbering Chinese users.

You forgot to add “relative to population size”. I don't think that
such direct comparison makes sense, with Chinese users' motivation
being mainly circumventing the GFC. Russia has no Internet censorship,
so you can compare the data at the time when the paper was written and
now with similar countries. Then:
  Russia 146
  France 150
  UK 170
  US 864
(I omit Germany because it such an outlier)

Now (https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html, approximate):
  Russia 15000
  France 26000
  UK 10000
  US 62000

So I wouldn't say that Russia's proportion has a tendency to increase,
discarding growth of Tor network per se, although I suspect that
proportion of Internet users in Russia increased much more in recent
years than in Western countries above. Most people don't change their
Internet usage patterns due to traffic interception laws, and Internet
criminals in Russia (e.g., carders) prefer double-VPN to Tor, from
what I heard.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)