[tor-talk] access sites

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Thu Apr 5 02:13:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 04:25,  <andrew at torproject.is> wrote:
> You could also infer things from this table,
> https://metrics.torproject.org/users.html?table=direct-users&start=2012-01-06&end=2012-04-05#direct-users-table

The paper has the advantage of correlating different statistics
(including intercepted traffic) and drawing conclusions that passed
peer review. I just pointed to the table instead of copy-pasting
quotes (I did skim the paper before doing that).

> Again, not phony at all. Ask a military person why they might want
> privacy online.

They might, but that's not what I would call “military use”. Do
network admins anywhere in the American military, for instance, set up
network access via Tor?

> The real answer is to do your own study, get it peer reviewed, and
> publish it somewhere. And do this without violating academic ethics
> rules for human subjects nor wiretapping laws in your country.

Well, you already have some statistics from personal interaction with
users, but you didn't want to share them on the “Tor users” page
(e.g., there is no
section about people using Tor to trade illegal drugs, although that
must be a sizable proportion of users).

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)