[tor-talk] access sites

Maxim Kammerer mk at dee.su
Wed Apr 4 21:51:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 18:26, Andreas Krey <a.krey at gmx.de> wrote:
> Normal people in developed countries who use tor to
>
>  a) provide the background noise for the users that need protection,
>
>  b) use it as a way around lack of WLAN security or other funny
>     ideas of mobile interneter providers,

I don't doubt that there are such uses, I am just wondering about the
actual percentage breakdown of different users. As it stands, the “Tor
users” page at torproject.org is essentially propaganda aimed at
presenting a certain image, but I would like to know how would it look
like if sorted by users count. It's a frequent question, something
that many people would like to know — and ultimately, the reason that
the “Tor users” page exists. Only problem, that page is not too useful
for answering the question. How would the top of the page look if
sorted by actual most popular uses? Would it be:

  * Asians and Muslim use Tor to get on Facebook
  * Loonies use Tor to hide from The Man
  * Stoners use Tor to buy drugs
  * Pedophiles use Tor to share videos

Or is that list completely wrong? Right now, it seems difficult to get
a reliable estimate.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)