[tor-talk] Any problem installing TBB & Vidalia bundle on same machine?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Sep 21 20:49:12 UTC 2011

On 8/14/2011 7:47 PM, Justin Aplin wrote:

> Alternatively, as a hackish fix, you could modify your "permanent" installation to bind to ports that won't conflict with TBB. Off the top of my head, I think you'd want to pick non-default values for ControlPort and SocksPort in your torrc (with matching values in Vidalia), as well as a non-default value for proxyPort in Polipo's config file, and changing socksParentProxy (also in Polipo's config file) to point to the new value you've given to torrc's SocksPort.
>
> *I don't have TorButton to fenangle with  * on this computer, but I'm sure somewhere in its options or in about:config you can change the port it looks for Polipo on, or plug it directly into Tor's socks port if you're not using Polipo.
>
> The ultimate goal here is to have your "permanent" installation of Tor/Vidalia/Polipo/ * Firefox/TORBUTTON * use a completely different set of ports than TBB. Like I said, hackish, but the result should be worth it if you use both often.
>
> ~Justin Aplin
Justin, after re reading your suggestion few times, realized we don't
seem to be talking about same thing.  I didn't mean running TBB & a ver
of FF w/ Tor / Torbutton.  I meant TBB and just Tor / Vidalia/ Polipo
(no Firefox, Torbutton involved), so other apps could be torrified, but
not w/ Firefox running.

So any reference to Firefox / Torbutton don't apply to what I & others
wanted to do:  Have a separate installation of Tor / Vidalia & run other
(non browser) apps thru Tor - whether at same time TBB is running or
not.  Preferably, WHILE they're both running (TBB and Tor /Vidalia -
sans Torbutton).  Maybe you did understand me, but I didn't understand
reply!
Thanks.