[tor-talk] Questions about Tor changes after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

Big Momma hail_the_chief at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 19:07:55 UTC 2011

I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 from 10.04.  11.04 uses Firefox 6.02.

I followed these instructions
(https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en) and so added the Tor
repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list then apt-get'd tor and
tor-geoipdb.

I have three questions about the changes I have noticed from 10.04.

a) It appears that Polipo is no longer required.  My Firefox proxy
settings show SOCKS 5 at 127.0.0.1 but the HTTP and SSL boxes are
empty.  Presumably this is correct as Tor is a SOCKS proxy so all HTTP
goes via it.  Can I confirm that all DNS now can go directly to Tor
rather than requiring Polipo as the HTTP intermediary as was previously
the case.

I appreciate that when you turn Torbutton "on" then
network.proxy.socks_remote_dns becomes "true" which I assume means that
DNS indeed does go through Tor (rather than to my ISP).

I see that network.dns.disablePrefetch;true also becomes "true" and presumably this also assists in maintaining the remote DNS.

b) I also assume that Vidalia is now an "optional extra" rather than
required.  It seems as if Torbutton has replaced it.  Is this correct?

c) I note that the torrc file has moved from /home/myname/.vidalia/torrc to /etc/tor/torrc.  Why?

Also:

When downloading Torbutton from (https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/)
the Mozilla screen said "author not verified".  Why is this?

Thanks!  Much appreciated!