[tor-talk] Dutch police break into webservers over hidden services

Gozu-san gozu at xerobank.net
Tue Sep 13 16:09:29 UTC 2011

[I initially sent this just to Mike Cardwell.  Sorry about that.]

On 09/09/11 10:36, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Gozu-san <gozu at xerobank.net> wrote:
>> Alternatively, one could run Tor on VMs that can only access the
>> internet via OpenVPN-based "anonymity services".  OpenVPN clients can be
>
> OpenVPN-based "anonymity services" ~= snake oil.

Although some are over-hyped, that's a very broad generalization.

> If you're running a hidden service you've already got a perfectly good
> network anonymity service running.

I totally agree.  Upon reflection, I get the elegance and wisdom of Mike
Cardwell's guidance.  The approach that I suggested, except perhaps with
elaborate implementations that I didn't explain, is clearly inferior.  I
apologize to anyone whom I've misled.

FWIW, my comments were colored by considerations re discretely hosting
multiple hidden services.  I'll explain that in a new thread.