[tor-talk] Google and Gmail

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Sun Sep 11 05:32:42 UTC 2011

On 09/10/2011 10:22 PM, Andre Risling wrote:
> I've noticed a lot of people that are concerned about privacy and
> security are using Gmail accounts.
>
> Do you really trust Google not to read your email and tell THE MAN what
> you've been saying?

No.

But technologies like Tor are general purpose and useful for many
things. Sometimes other people in the world have different instances of
"THE MAN", maybe theirs might be expected to not have the same access to
Gmail.

Accessing Gmail from within a network which is trying to block or
intercept it is a easy to explain and realistic scenario. That type of
example is useful for discussing the general security properties of a
system.

It also happens to be a service under active attack right now, providing
a case study for attackers and defenders alike. This is historic: in the
almost two decades of web security history, this is the first time a
certificate issued by a widely trusted root CA has been detected in use
in large scale man-in-the-middle attacks.

- Marsh