[tor-talk] which apps require an http proxy?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Oct 31 00:37:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 05:31:34PM -0700, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>  otherwise, I sometimes use a
> HTTP proxy with proxychains to prevent DNS leaky applications that have
> not and will never implement SOCKS.

This is the crux of the question: which ones? And are they applications
that we think are safe enough to use in general with Tor, or are they
applications where if we learned you were using them we'd tell you to
give up on trying to be safe? If there are enough apps in the former
category, we should think about either a) getting an http proxy into
the bundles we ship, or b) writing clear instructions for how people
can bolt on an http proxy if they want one.

--Roger