[tor-talk] which apps require an http proxy?

Erinn Clark erinn at torproject.org
Mon Oct 31 00:06:38 UTC 2011

Hello tor-talk,

There are a lot of you with somewhat sophisticated Tor setups, so you'll know
better than a lot of the developers about this topic.

We want to drop polipo from all of the bundles. Currently it can only be found
in the "vanilla" Vidalia bundles for OSX and Windows, but it's not in the
relay/bridge/exit bundles for Windows or any of the TBBs. Users seem to think
they need an http proxy at times when they do not, but I think there must be
apps that can use an http proxy but not a socks proxy.

So which apps are these? Anyone know?