[tor-talk] Freedom Hosting admin revealed by Anonymous - Tor finally cracked?

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Sun Oct 30 23:09:37 UTC 2011

Thus spake hikki at Safe-mail.net (hikki at Safe-mail.net):

> According to their latest blog, they've found the Freedom Hosting admin. And
> even Mike Perry seems to be involved in their claims.
>
> http://pastebin.com/qWHDWCre

Hahah. By involved, I guess you mean "mentioned near?" This post seems
to provide exactly enough evidence to clear me from having anything to
do with Freedom Hosting.

If you pull the netcraft data for any of my servers going back 15
years, you'll see I've never put a *BSD machine on the Internet. You
will, however, find me trolling various BSD mailinglists about
installer issues, lack of update authentication, build issues, and
poor driver support.. You see, I've never even gotten the shit to
install on anything other than one computer I found in a dumpster, and
it had a broken ethernet driver that I could not even recompile the
source to fix. I reinstalled the computer with a proper OS, and then
put it back in the dumpster.

I suspect I'm just being trolled because I seem to be interested in
personal and legal insulation for my professional activity. Why am I
interested in that? Oh I dunno, maybe because I work on an anonymity
network and run some of its exit infrastructure, and I knew that
sooner or later it would mean having to deal with trolls like these,
or worse?

Anyways, I'd like to thank "Anonymous" for clearing my name, even if
they did have to do so in the most libelous way they could come up
with :). Good show, guys. Good show. *slow clap*.

> This is starting to get utterly interesting. Is the whole Tor network being
> owned and cracked by the Anonymous hackers?

Yeah, the whole network. Way to read between the lines on some solid
investigative reporting. Pastebin: It's like the New York Times. You
can take that shit to work.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist