[tor-talk] Strange TOR connection behavior? EntryNodes/Strict

fatigue at Safe-mail.net fatigue at Safe-mail.net
Mon Oct 17 10:24:21 UTC 2011

I'm a little new to TOR. I run it in linux and start and stop it from a terminal window. I have changed my torrc to include the following:

EntryNodes poohbear

where 'poohbear' is the entry node I wish to use.

This setup works, however when I monitor the traffic with wireshark, I see that tor is making many https connections to other tor nodes prior to establishing a secure connection with the poohbear node.

Why is this the case? Shouldn't the EntryNodes operator limit connections to the poobear node, and only the poohbear node?