[tor-talk] German police keylogger analysis (and the effects on Tor are....?)

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Oct 17 00:10:20 UTC 2011

On 10/16/2011 3:05 PM, Julian Yon wrote:
> On 16/10/11 17:57, William Wrightman wrote:
>> When you have finished then you close the partition.  Now the
>> password is cleared from the RAM.
>>
>> Thoughts?
> If you (or someone you ultimately trust) didn't write or audit the code
> yourself then you are making a huge assumption there.
>

> Julian

 From what I've read in past (for Windows machines) & from software docs
like True Crypt, data isn't kept in RAM indefinitely after powered off -
for a while.  Exactly HOW long it takes for RAM to clear, not sure (it
wasn't hours & hours, from what I read).

If you're thinking the police might break down your door, I'd either
stop doing anything remotely illegal where you are, or invest in REALLY
strong, steel doors, & look into prgms specifically designed to
overwrite / clear RAM.

If the computer was on & someone broke in, brought a power supply to
keep machine(s) powered up until get them to a research lab, then I
guess theoretically they could recover stuff from RAM as well.