[tor-talk] German police keylogger analysis (and the effects on Tor are....?)

William Wrightman williamwrightman at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 16:57:39 UTC 2011

> >>>> Full disk encryption is possible. For
> Debian or Ubuntu you can enable

I don't really understand the apparent benefit of full disk encryption as opposed to using TrueCrypt partitions.

AIUI if you are using FDE then the password is stored in the RAM while the computer is on.

If the computer is seized then the password can be obtained from the RAM.  I base this on Kevin Poulsen's book about Max Vision ("Kingpin") where Vision's FDE password was obtained from the RAM. because he was using the computer when his house was raided.

I would think that using partitions is better.  You use the computer "normally" but if you want to access anything personal then you open the partition.

When you have finished then you close the partition.  Now the password is cleared from the RAM.

Thoughts?