[tor-talk] still problems - update available

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Oct 14 19:23:12 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 1:34 PM, Andrew Lewman wrote:
> On Friday, October 14, 2011 10:44:01 Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> What * exact file&  data * is the version check using in TBB to check
>> against "latest" avail. versions from Tor Project?
> https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBVersions is the file checked on
> start up of TBB.
>
> And is this a fresh download and extract of tbb?
No, I didn't make it clear.  I was asking which FILE that TBB used, to
cue off of to check for NEW versions (as SOON as TBB starts), & I'm
assuming (but, in this case, maybe just a bug) - then checks a site -
which I guess you listed above.  Maybe some setting got set to "Latest
Ver? = No", and is stuck.

Yes, it's a fresh d/l - don't know how many times I have to d/l & do the
same thing, the same way & expect diff results, before I'm pronounced
insane. :)

When TBB starts, goes to Tor check site, it also has notice on same
startup page that an update is avail.  Maybe it actually checked, or
that's just a msg that "got stuck."  No matter how many times (so far)
TBB is restarted, it still gives same msg about update avail.

BUT..... if I manually check for updates, it says TBB is UP TO DATE.  So
there's something wrong in a file, or the auto version checking /
startup process, etc.